Friday, May 16, 2008

creative nose dive

if you want to read more awesome blogs than mine,

try www.evanmaclean.blogspot.com, for pictures of chimps, monkeys, and africa, and www.acornlex.blogspot.com, for super duperness and awesome pictures.

JVC, life, and the world in general have sucked my soul out.

i'm not as funny as i used to be, not as carefree, creative, spontaneous, or nearly as awesome. Constantly thinking about the worlds problems is a big downer. I'm gonna have to stop doing that.

So from this point on, I'm going to make a sincere effort to only think about world problems when I am either a) reading about them and/or B) actually solving them. Because someday I will solve all the worlds problems. I just hope I don't have to think about them at all other moments of the day.

on another note, I think I believe in God again. I went on this silent retreat, which was sort of a huge pain and total social disaster, but i got so bored that I actually did what they asked us to do, and prayed. of course, God didn't talk back, I dont think he ever does, when that happens I think people are just connecting with the schizophrenic inside of them (but who knows, maybe schizophrenia is just being in closer touch with some sort of unearthly being and I'm dead wrong), but some interesting stuff happened this week.

First of all, NC state rejected my in state residency claim. I got mad, and wrote them a mean letter. In state class costs 600 bucks, plus or minus some amount, and out of state is 2000, plus or minus any assholes involved. and who would ever spend that much on a class at NC state? i mean, come on, arent you supposed to get what you pay for? So naturally i refuse to pay for something thats not worth it. And then I googled online classes, and the first thing that popped up was MIT courseware, and then I remembered that I read somewhere that MIT was offering almost all of their course materials online, for FREE-- so basically, a complete course, minus the professor. And i decided that an MIT downloaded course with those materials for FREE was a way better deal than even the 600 at NC state...and I remembered God. I was suspicious of his involvement in the rejection claim from NC state.

Okay, and then, exactly two weeks ago, for no reason at all, I sold all of my yahoo stock and decided to invest in a solar company. this was on a friday. I sold yahoo at 28.50, when I had bought it at 23.50, only profiting $30 after commission fees (i know i play tiddlywinks with stocks), and then bought 16 shares of Renesola, (SOL) a chinese solar power company, at 15.80. Then, on Saturday, the VERY NEXT DAY, Microsoft withdrew their bid for yhoo, and the stock dropped. I got out at the PERFECT time. God re-enters my mind.

To top it all of, two weeks later, my solar stock is up to $26 a share!!!! Their earnings report absolutely blew everyone away, and in two weeks time my money has increased by what, 80%?. I just wish I had more money to invest, that I had bought 100 shares instead of my measly 16. But there are some things you can't control. And the projected price on this stock is $40. This, again, made me think of God.

so, lame, i know, that all of my encounters with money recently have been attributed to God. but money has really been a problem lately, and I can't stop thinking about it, and how much its going to interfere with my life. So much so, in fact, that I wish I had taken a few years before grad school to just make a lot of money. The problem is that unless your goal is to make a lot of money, it just wont happen. And unfortunately my goal has nothing to do with money. It has everything to do with solving all the worlds problems. I'm considering having a part-time goal of making a lot of money, and doing it with stocks. after i figured out (sort of) what i was doing, i made some better choices in the market and am actually making money.

No comments: